It was only a matter of time before Angenieux anamorphasized it’s 25-250mm Optimo Style and here it is. A 44-440mm T4.5 2X anamorphic zoom. This lens rounds out the rest of Angenieux’s anamorphic line-up which consists of a wide 30-72mm T4, and the mid-range 56-152mm T4. Let’s take a look at some of the finer details of this brand new anamorphic telephoto zoom.Here’s the spec sheet for the new 44-440mm:
|Max Aperture||f/4, T4.5|
|Close Focus||4 ft 1 in – 1.24 m|
|Image Circle||4 perf. scope+: 28.8 mm diagonal|
|Appx. Weight||16.6 lbs – 7.55 kg|
Direct from Angenieux, some of the primary features of the new zoom:
- 2:1 horizontal squeeze achieved by multiple glass elements behind lens iris
- Perfect homogeneity of color, contrast, resolution and low distortion typical of the Optimo series
- Constant T4.5 across zoom range, no ramping
- Minimal breathing suitable for rack focusing
- Close Focus of (1.24m / 4’1” feet) enables extreme close-up shots
- Very low distortion on all focal lengths and at all focus distances
- Great flare and ghost image suppression
- The lightest and most compact anamorphic zoom in its range
- Precise and ergonomic focus ring with scale rotation of 320 degrees & over 40 focus marks.
- Interchangeable focus scale ring from feet to meters
- Adapted to extreme production environments (passive athermalisation from -20°C to +45°C)
- PL mount lens. Easily interchangeable to PV Panavision mount
- The lens can be converted to a 25-250mm (T3.5 – MOD 4’) spherical lens, by exchanging the rear optical element and the Focus/Zoom and T-stop markings (for package offer only)
- Built-in lens encoder provides lens metadata (focus, zoom, T-stop) via industry standard /i Cooke protocol ou technology in both spheric and anamorphic configurations.
- Lens data can be displayed on camera monitors to assist critical focusing, and be recorded in camera to support VFX / post production work.
- Both focus and zoom elements are guided through an internal mechanical rod system, which helps maintain optical quality even after rough handling / transportation
- Front thread for optional protective glass
Angenieux goes on to state that the creative virtues of anamorphic lenses have become even more important in the digital age, where cinematographers are seeking a distinctive look to enrich every project. In 2015, 40% of Top 100 Grossing Movies in the US have been shot in anamorphic (Imdb source). The Angénieux anamorphic zoom lenses add a dimensional character to the image with the traditional 2x squeeze, yet minimizing breathing and distortion by adopting a modern optical design.
The Optimo 44-440 A2S zoom lens features traditional 2x horizontal squeeze, minimum breathing and distortion, and a fast aperture of T:4.5 across the zoom range. It has a great close focus of 4ft 1in (1.24m), and is one of the lightest lens in its class at 16.6 lbs (7.55kg). The lens creates a unique image that combines controlled background with an aesthetically dimensional foreground. The Optimo 44-440 A2S brings what many refer to as a “creamy and organic look” that Angenieux zooms are known for.
The Angénieux A2S zoom lenses blend perfectly with the anamorphic prime lenses in the market. Their unique mount design allows a quick swap between PL and PV mounts. And the focus scale ring is easily interchangeable from feet to meters. The 44- 440 Optimo A2S features built-in encoders providing metadata (focus, zoom,T-stop) via the industry standard /i Technology interface developed by Cooke.
We’ll have plenty more info on this lens in the coming weeks once we get our hands on the new toy around NAB. Speaking of which, don’t forget to subscribe via email to receive our updates, straight from the NAB show floor. This year should be quite interesting with some really cool new products coming down the pipe.